As the nation faces unprecedented times, Brits have been told to stay home and to regularly wash their hands for 20 seconds at a time to save lives and protect our healthcare services. Though the population is complying, the suggestion of singing Happy Birthday through twice to time your hand wash runs the risk of becoming tedious for many weeks into the crisis. Some will also have become complacent about proper hand hygiene as the extended routine becomes less of a novelty.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, you should wash your hands:
• After you have been in a public place and touched an item or surface that may be frequently touched by other people, such as door handles, tables, gas pumps, shopping carts, or electronic cashier registers/screens, etc.
• Before touching your eyes, nose, or mouth because that’s how germs enter our bodies.
We have compiled a list of other musical options with twenty-second choruses for all ages to consider singing whilst giving their hands a good wash.
These ‘handwashing hit’ songs comprise:
• For babies and toddlers; Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
• For primary school kids: Happy, by Pharrell Williams
• For high school kids: I Don’t Care, by Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber
• For students: Thank U, Next, by Ariana Grande
• For millennials: Mr Brightside, by The Killers
• For the middle aged: Don’t Look Back in Anger, by Oasis
• For older Brits: Let’s Twist Again, by Chubby Checker
And two timeless classics for all ages: Stayin’ Alive, by the BeeGees and Hey Jude, by The Beatles.
Another tip for little ones is to cover their hands in cinnamon and wash it off, so they can visually understand where they regularly miss washing their hands, as well as being a fun messy play activity.
“Hand hygiene is vitally important during the current crisis, but after weeks of singing Happy Birthday and less trips outdoors thanks to self-isolation, many Brits will have become complacent as to how thoroughly they should wash their hands.
We hope our fun playlist of alternative hits that are the perfect length for the ideal hand wash will help families keep on top of their hygiene as well as provide some respite from a tune that may now feel annoyingly omnipresent!” – (Trisha Adams, Director of Clinical Services at Pall Mall Medical)