The liver is your body’s largest internal organ. It’s responsible for more than 500 different functions in the body. One of these functions is detoxification and neutralizing toxins.
Knowing that the liver is a detoxification organ, you might think doing a liver cleanse could help your body recover faster after a big weekend, give your body that much-needed health kick, or boost your metabolism so you can lose weight faster.
There are many Ingredients that can be beneficial to your liver, some of which include:
- Milk thistle: Milk thistle is a well-known liver cleansing supplement because of its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It may help reduce liver inflammation.
- Turmeric: Turmeric has been shown to decrease the key pro-inflammatory molecules that contribute to the initiation, development, or worsening of diseases. It may help reduce your risk of liver disease. – Due to turmeric’s low bioavailability, it’s best taken in supplement form.
However, you should research these supplements and talk to your doctor about the potential risks and benefits they may offer you before use.
Other ways to improve liver health
Some simple strategies that can reduce the risk of liver disease and help the liver rid the body of toxins include:
- Limiting alcohol intake: Excessive alcohol consumption is a risk factor for liver disease. People with an addiction to alcohol should consider treatment.
- Avoiding unnecessary over-the-counter medications: Never exceed the recommended dose, particularly of drugs such as acetaminophen that can harm the liver. Do not mix alcohol and over-the-counter drugs.
- Choosing reputable tattoo and piercing salons: Choose a salon that sterilizes their equipment. Unsafe body modifications can transmit hepatitis C.
- Getting vaccinated: A person should get vaccinated for hepatitis A and B, and make sure they get appropriate vaccinations before traveling overseas.
- Practicing safe sex: This can reduce the risk of transmitting conditions that affect the liver. People should also get tested regularly for sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
- Avoiding potentially dangerous chemicals: When painting or using pesticides, wear a mask and ensure the area is well ventilated.
- Drinking plenty of water.
- Rinsing fruit and vegetables: This can help ensure they are free of pesticides.
A healthy liver is crucial for maintaining a person’s overall health, but expensive cleanses or diets are just not necessary. In some cases, they may even be dangerous.
A healthy lifestyle, balanced diet, and regular consultations with a doctor are far more valuable to the health of the liver than any fad diet or cleanse.
If you are worried about your liver function, you should consult with your GP straight away. At Pall Mall Medical, we offer private GP appointments. For more information click here or call us on 03300 58 44 55.