Prominent or protruding ears – are, to many people, a cause of embarrassment, misery and even self-centeredness! Believe me, it is affecting nearly 2% of the population in the UK itself. Name calling, tagging, bullying, being at the receiving end of the jokes are merely some of the social trauma suffered by people having protruding ears. Some people are forced to use their hairstyle to hide the prominence of their ears! Of course a sad state of affairs.
Previously, the only way to address this issue was with an invasive operation – the Otoplasty. However, the procedure often requires general anaesthesia, surgical incisions leading to scars and not to forget a lengthy recovery period.
The EarFold Treatment is a breakthrough procedure, offered by Pall Mall Medical. It offers a fast, non-surgical solution, with minimal downtime, no theatre requirements and much more control on the final outcome of the ear placement! The EarFold is a small implant that is designed to reposition prominent ears quickly and efficiently.
EarFold – the wonder implant
EarFold Treatment is a minimal invasive procedure which is done in a clinic room, to reposition prominent ears. It is suitable for adults and children over the age of seven.
The procedure is permanent, taking approximately 20 minutes and done under local anaesthetic. Importantly, people can resume their work the very next day!
The most satisfying factor is that the Earfold gives you the opportunity to choose how your ears will look BEFORE you decide whether to be treated or not, thus giving you much more control over your desired outcome.
Using a small implant, the consultant is able to reposition prominent ears very quickly. The curvature of the implant means after it is inserted into your ear the implant springs into shape, helping to correct your ear prominence by creating or enhancing what’s known as the antihelix fold.
The material of Earfold
Earfold is made from the highly elastic material – Nitinol; a lightweight alloy made of two metals, titanium and nickel; used widely in medicine. It is coated with 24-carat gold, to reduce visibility under your skin. The implant is just 5mm wide, 15 mm long and approximately 0.15 mm thick, weighing 0.068 grams.
Benefits of the Implant
- Short recovery compared to Otoplasty – no bandages so you can return to work as soon as you feel comfortable
- You can choose the position of your ears yourself before the treatment
- Fast treatment as the procedure typically takes about 20 minutes for both ears
- The procedure is carried out under local anaesthetic in a clinic environment
- The procedure is performed by Plastic Surgeons or Facial Cosmetic Surgeons – so you can rest assured you are in safe hands
- The Earfold implants are biocompatible, so if, for whatever reasons, you are unsatisfied with the outcome of the surgery, the implant can be removed.
The procedure for the EarFold
During your free of charge consultation at Pall Mall Medical, the Consultant will gauge the problem and concerns you have, in terms of the current position of your ears and how you would like them to look after the procedure.
Then, you and the consultant will change the position of your ears by using 1 or 2 temporary positioners per ear. Where they are on the outside of your ear is exactly where your consultant will insert them under the skin on the day of your procedure. This ensures that you are in control of the new position of your ears. The use of temporary positioners is to decide the final look of the ear, which is unique to Earfold and cannot easily be achieved with a standard Otoplasty.
The Earfold procedure typically takes about 20 minutes, and only uses a local anaesthetic.
Here’s a summary of what you can expect on the day of your procedure:
- The position of the implants that you agreed will be marked on your ear.
- A local anaesthetic will be administered to numb your ears.
- A small incision (8-10mm long) will be made.
- The Earfold implants will be inserted into your ear with a small handheld device.
- Once inserted, the Earfold implants immediately help to correct your ear prominence.
- The small incision will be closed with sutures and dressed with some sterile tape.
How much does the Earfold Treatment cost?
Each patient is unique – different expectations and not to forget, different requirements as well! We, at Pall Mall Medical do not believe in a “one size fits all” approach to cosmetic surgery, and as such, the price of the surgery will depend on the exact requirements of your individual procedure.
The first step should be to book in for a free of charge initial consultation – see the Consultant so that you can discuss your hopes and expectations. Once the consultant has had a conversation with you, a member of our team will be in touch to provide you with a full quote.
The recovery process
Despite the Earfold being a minimally invasive procedure, it’s important to remember it is still a medical treatment. Hence you must bear in mind a few things after the procedure:
- Local anaesthetic will make your ears feel a little numb for a while
- Some minor pain after the procedure may be felt, which should fade within a couple of days
- There may be some swelling or bruising, but this will fade over the week following the treatment
- Your ears may feel a little extra sensitive for a while
- Sleep on your back for up to four weeks to avoid pressure on your ears
- Try and avoid swimming or contact sports for four weeks or so, to let the implants settle
- Avoid wearing earrings for two weeks or so to reduce any risk of infection
- Avoid smoking for 3 months, as nicotine reduces the blood supply to your ear, which greatly increases the risk of complications. This is also true of e-cigarettes and nicotine patches or chewing gum.
It’s never been easier to look and feel the ways you’ve always wanted. Regain your confidence. Love your ears.
Relevant Blogs –
Book a free of charge consultation today: https://www.pallmallmedical.co.uk/cosmetic-surgery/earfold