Contraception has been used for centuries in one form or another. But perhaps surprisingly, many are still in the dark about the variety of different options available and the varying degrees of effectiveness of these methods.
Mr Sachin Maiti, our Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist here at Pall Mall Medical, sets out the all-important Mythbusters which may help you protect yourself during intercourse.
- YOU’RE NEVER COMPLETELY PROTECTED. Using contraceptive methods does not mean you are completely protected – approximately 9 out of 100 women per year find they are pregnant despite having taken the contraceptive pill.
- CERTAIN FACTORS CAN AFFECT THE PILL. Things such as vomiting or taking other medications alongside the pill can interfere with its efficacy.
- SOME METHODS ARE MORE RELIABLE THAN OTHERS. The implant and the coil are extremely reliable with a failure rate of about 1 per cent.
- HORMONAL CONTRACEPTION ISN’T THE ONLY OPTION. If you are looking for non-hormonal alternatives, condoms, female caps and non-hormonal coils such as the copper IUD are recommended.
- ONLY CONDOMS PREVENT STIs. While not being 100% effective even when used correctly, condoms are the only form of contraception that prevents STIs.
Pall Mall Medical offers a full range of services, including private GP appointments, specialist consultant appointments (including male & female gynaecology), as well as advanced diagnostics, cosmetic surgery and occupational health.
Get In touch with our team today by calling 0330 058 44 55, complete our online booking form or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.