The top things parents forget to take on holiday!

So, your family holiday is fast approaching and the whole household can't wait to jump on that plane. During a time of excitement, it is so easy to forget some of the essential things that parents may likely need during the holiday! I'm going to give you a list of the top items you want to consider including when you pack your suitcases.

First Aid Kit

1. First Aid Kit

A first aid kit can come in handy on a day to day basis, (we all have one somewhere in our house). But it is somewhat different when we are on holiday, when we may forget to plan for mishaps. A slip, trip or fall can be common around a swimming pool, beach or holiday resort where there are plentiful outdoor activities.

Dealing with a graze or cut is much easier when you have access to a dressing, plasters and some Savlon! Buying a travel-friendly first aid kit can help give us peace of mind that if any minor accidents happen.


2. Antihistamines

I think I speak for us all when I say mosquitos are a big downside of going on holiday abroad! The endless itching that one small bite causes can be irritating and spoil the fun of a great holiday. Around 20% of individuals are more attractive to mosquitoes and much more likely to get a bite than the other 80%. This can be due to our blood type, genetics, our metabolism and also the colour of our clothes!

Be prepared for any nasty bites with some antihistamines and some sting/bite relief cream. Ifcalamine lotion doesn't help, try taking an over-the-counter hydrocortisone ointment or cream which contains corticosteroids to reduce inflammation, redness, and swelling which ease itching!

Lip protection with SPF

3. Lip protection with SPF

We all pack copious amounts of sun cream that we can lather our children with to ensure they are not suffering from the sun's harmful rays. But one area of the body, many of us are guilty of forgetting to protect, is our lips. Not only does the sun dry out lips, so does saltwater from the sea. If you are heading towards the beach, you should be protecting your lips too. You'll be pleased to know that you can pick up a lip balm containing SPF for as little as £3, which isn't too bad considering the amount we all pay for sun cream nowadays.

ICE Card

4. ICE Card

"In case of emergency" cards are an absolute must when going on holiday with adults or children - especially if taking medications, have an allergy or a health condition.

In a nutshell, these cards should be taken with you wherever you go, as in the event of an emergency, whether you are able to speak for yourself or your family, you know their essential medical history is covered on the card. This can help medical professionals to understand any critical information or avoid prescribing medication that you or your children could, in fact, be allergic to!


5. Netflix

I am pretty sure every parent would agree that Netflix (or any streaming show providers) can be a blessing. When it comes to going on holiday, there are going to be endless queues whether we're checking in luggage, checking out of our hotels and let's not forget about the hours we'll be spending at the airport and on the aeroplane. One of the major bonuses of Netflix is a selection of programmes can be downloaded prior to leaving so that they can be watched offline to keep your kids occupied and entertained - keeping frustration and boredom at bay!

If you're all booked and ready to go on your holiday this summer, I hope you will take my advice and ensure you have considered these top things many parents forget to take for a happy, stress-free holiday. Have a safe journey!

0 comments on “The top things parents forget to take on holiday!Add yours →

Leave a Reply

Right Menu Icon